My first rig
February 17, 2013 9:26 PM
posted by rouftop (4 comments total)
6 users marked this as a favorite
Now that I've had a taste of what can be done in a home studio, I'm ready to dive in and get my own setup. Help me build My First Studio.
My needs are simple. I sing and harmonize with myself. I have an acoustic guitar with no pickup, and a ukelele with one, and a bunch of other random acoustic instruments (simple drums, a musical saw, recorders of different sizes).
I also want to be able to lay down simple bass / drums. My thinking is that I could do this using a keyboard to start. And I hope to have an electric guitar someday.
- Purchasing a computer is part of the plan. I'm pretty sure I want to just do everything with GarageBand. Laptop or desktop? It would have to live in the studio, so I imagine quieter would be better.
- Can I get away with just one microphone? What kind?
- What do I use to hook up instruments to the computer?
- Will my keyboard idea work? Is there a good small one that would do the job?
- What else do I need to know?
I know so little about this world it's painful to ask, so any advice would be helpful.