Humbler than Thou (studio version rough)

March 19, 2017 3:50 AM

This song originally came together accidentally while I was setting up my VR drum kit for my son for Christmas, as I posted about here at the time. Yesterday I decided to try to do a studio version and this is how it's coming out so far. It's pretty far along but I expect to add some horns before it's all said and done.

It blows my mind a little this is what I was working on when Chuck Berry died because his song "Johnny B Goode" was part of what first gave me the idea to try to earn money from making music as a kid, starting out playing gigs on drums at fifteen, and this is one of the first tunes I've played drums on in many years.

LYRICS:
If peeling onions makes you cry
You'd better stay out
Of the kitchens where I dine
Peeling off one layer at a time
I see you naked
And you pretend not to mind

I say, whoa, everybody knows
I've been
Down and out for so long
That I can't sin!

It hits me right between the eyes
The more I want something
The more I'll be denied
In a perverse display of pride
I ride my high horse upside down
Into the sky

I say, whoa, everybody knows
I've been
Down and out for so long
That I can't sin!

posted by saulgoodman (4 comments total)

Thanks!

I feel like the levels on the backing vocals relative to the drum track could use a bit of tweaking; I like the backing vocals a lot, and the way that they're filling the role of most of the instrumentation, but the drums kinda drown them out. (Especially like the pitch-shifted one late in the song in the right channel.)
posted by kaibutsu at 9:25 PM on March 19

Thanks for the note!
posted by saulgoodman at 6:39 AM on March 20

The (very active) drums are forward, but I only think to comment on that since you mentioned them in your blurb. The bass is what jumped out at me first and holds it together. Had to listen a couple of times to get a sense of what the song was about (meaning it was more about the music than the lyrics for my ears).
posted by comealongpole at 3:18 PM on March 25

I'm a little torn about possibly mixing out the backing vocals that sort of mimic the main bass line. On one hand, they seem to add an interesting texture and I think with a little more attention to the mix, I could find a better place for them to sit without muddying the mix too much the way I think they do now. On the other hand, I only recorded them that way originally because I had the idea and wanted to get it down before I could borrow a bass to lay down a real bass line with...
posted by saulgoodman at 10:25 PM on March 27

« Older Early Warning System   |   Beneath Broken Earth Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments