THE CHALLENGE RETURNS?

December 30, 2018 5:54 AM

YOUR MEFIMU CHALLENGE NEEDS YOU

Hello! I've been on a leave of absence due to producing a small new band member, she can't play or sing yet but we're getting there. And you know, not being able to play or sing doesn't stop many popular musicians these days (omg shut UP MUM).

Anyway I'm sorry I've been so rubbish at arranging maternity cover. I want to start 2019 as I mean to go on, and for this I need your help. I want your input on two questions:

1) What challenges would you like to see? More or less technical ones? More collaboration ones? More covers or more originals?

2) I'd like to do another big album project this year as we've talked about it for a while. Are there any anniversaries coming up of great and powerful albums that you think would make a good candidate for this? Bonus points for diversity, it would be great if we can avoid doing another one by a white male or male-dominated group if possible!

Thank you, and if you'd rather memail me with your input then please do. I might be a bit slow to respond as the aforementioned new housemate is quite demanding, but I will respond!
posted by greenish (7 comments total)

I'd vote less technical, more collaborative, and more covers - those sorts of things encourage participation, which can be difficult to get with regular challenges.

IIRC we've done Velvet Underground (60's), Bowie (70's), and Radiohead (90's) - maybe something from the 80's? Anniversaries would be 35 years for 1984 and 30 years for 1989. Will have to think about it.
posted by InfidelZombie at 9:42 AM on January 3

Congrats on the new tenant!

I love the idea of being involved in an album project. I did have a quick look there at 80s albums but I had to stop as I was feeling too old so once I've finished sobbing I'll go back and have another look. But definitely count me in for that.
posted by billiebee at 6:39 AM on January 7

Woo, greenish! I think another album project would be a lot of fun too.
posted by cortex at 8:16 AM on January 7 [1 favorite]

I like InfidelZombie's idea of challenges that are collab-based. I confess I don't typically participate in the challenges much, because they're typically theme-based and I'm usually just content doing my own thing. But a collab mixer would be something that I think I would find really engaging! It's a bit more of logistical challenge, though.
posted by CarrotAdventure at 7:44 PM on January 7

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys!

I was super hoping that an anniversary of a Kate Bush album would fall this year but I can't see one, gutted. Would it be an abuse of power just to do a Kate Bush challenge?!
posted by greenish at 10:32 AM on January 16

It would be the best kind of abuse of power.
posted by cortex at 10:35 AM on January 16

That sounds good. A particular album, or any Kate Bush?
posted by umbĂș at 12:30 PM on January 16

« Older MeMu Pals (a retrospective/feel good thread)

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments