What are you trying to learn right now?

April 25, 2020 8:47 AM

Are you learning to play a new instrument? Learning a new technique? Discovering a new style of music? Let's talk about it here!
posted by FishBike (4 comments total)

I have been slowly learning the 120-button accordion over the past decade or so. It's hard. So, so difficult. And heavy.

I've also been able to get some squonks out of a 3/4-size saxophone we have.

I have grand plans and one day, ONE DAYYY
posted by not_on_display at 11:15 PM on May 6 [1 favorite]

I have been slowly learning the 120-button accordion over the past decade or so. It's hard. So, so difficult. And heavy.

Neat! That brings back some memories from about 40 years ago. My dad had an accordion, and could actually play it pretty well. I don't know if it had 120 buttons, but it certainly had a lot. I never understood much about it, but this prompted me to read up a little today. It was a piano accordion, with the Stradella bass system, and a whole bunch of register switches. I knew how to play the piano keyboard part a little bit, and had some idea that the multitude of buttons were for chords, and had no idea at all about the switches on the front. And I do recall it being astonishingly heavy.

Myself, I am currently trying to learn to play the bass guitar. I last tried to learn to play an instrument about 30 years ago, a 6-string accoustic guitar that was in pretty rough shape. I watched quite a few instructional videos even before buying this thing, so I knew there would be a lot to learn and I expected to be pretty bad at it initially. I am happy to report that I am indeed a terrible bass player so far.

I have no plans to join a band or play for an audience or anything like that, this is just something I'm doing because I started watching some bass-related videos on Youtube and kept imagining myself playing it. That idea stuck around for several months, so I decided to give it a shot.

Ideally, I want to be able to hear a tune in my head and play it on an instrument, so in support of that I'm practicing a lot of just finding notes on the fretboard based on note names, sheet music, fret numbers, trying to connect all those up mentally with the note that results. I'm using an app on my phone to help with that, and it seems to be effective. But there is so much more to learn than that.
posted by FishBike at 6:56 PM on May 8 [1 favorite]

I've been learning some music theory, trying to apply it to my guitar playing, learning the CAGED method.
Then, today, I tried to forget all that and just play.
posted by signal at 6:04 PM on May 9 [2 favorites]

I'm learning the Sarabande from the Bach Partita for Solo Flute in A minor, and a much more modern flute tune entitled Bright and Chirpy.

The flute is difficult to consistently get a good sound from, but I feel a certain freedom in that (unlike electronic or electronically amplified instruments) it is 98% me and 2% the flute.
posted by solarion at 10:59 PM on May 10 [2 favorites]

« Older RPM Challenge - April 2020

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments